Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris S Chris S is offline

Default Removing Large Plants from Pot.....Tips??

"Planet X" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a dwarf bamboo that has totally filled a 15" decorative pot.
I want to remove it from the pot and plant it in the garden. Of
course, nothing is that easy; the pot has a pinched in rim!!

Has anyone any useful tips that will enable me to extract the rootball
without cracking the pot? The pot has quite a large 'mouth' and it
has reasonably thick walls.

Thank you

I would suggest soaking the pot / compost so that it becomes flexible -
planting anything vigorous / long lived in a pot which has a pinched rim is
always going to come to this - if the pot isn't precious, then no problem,
but it may break in the process of trying to remove bamboo. Depending on how
long it has been in there, it may be tightly confined. Good luck :-) Let us
know how you get on, as I need to do similar with a purple elder which has
outgrown a glam blue glazed pot.!

Chris S