Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Les Hemmings Les Hemmings is offline

Default Cleaning Blue Barrels

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Mel
writes
I've just liberated a blue barrel from a skip, so I don't know what
the barrel contained. I want to use the barrel either for water
storage or growing strawberries. Does anyone know what's good to
use to de-contaminate the inside of the barrel? Bleach? Armillatox?
Jeyes? Fairy Liquid?

I generally use Jeyes. Takes a while for the smell to wear off but
works. You can get Jeyes especially for use in the garden now but I
have never tried that.

Normal saying is "The answer to pollution is dilution!" Can you smell
anything in there? Your nose is about the best detector for contaniments. I
had one that contained glue and I just peeled off the set glue... others
had oil based stuff that needed a detergent. Any acid, alkali or salt will
respond to repeated rinsing in plain water. As will most non oil based
toxins.

Is anything written on the barrel?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA