Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Battle for the feeder

"Padraig" wrote in message
I witnessed an interesting confrontation yesterday. The hummingbird feeder
had been taken over by a wasp who was determined not to share it. The bird
would hover at a respectful distance and if he came too close the wasp
would chase him away. I'm a little surprised by this because I've never
seen it before and also because I assumed the wasp might be on the bird's
menu but I guess that's wrong.

I can't see the wasp!

And although we don't have hummers in Britain I don't think they eat
insects. Their protein is from pollen, I've always thought. It will be
interesting to see what others say.

Mary