Old 11-11-2006, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mark Herbert Mark Herbert is offline

Default Battle for the feeder

In article ,
"wendy7" wrote:

I read that the Praying Mantis is the Humming Bird's main preditor!!!
So nature at work again.

I wasn't going to mention it, mainly because nobody ever believes me
when I tell them, but I witnessed a huge Chinese Mantis capturing and
eating a tiny hummer when I was a little boy. I have also seen them
eating tree frogs. This was in Illinois. The mantids can grow very
large there.

As far as hornets and wasps go, I have always seen hummingbirds give
them a wide berth. They are just too unpredictable and deadly. Then,
again, I have rarely seen a wasp horn in on a hummer already engaged at
the feeder, so there must be some sort of risk for both.

Circles, circles. Nature strikes a balance.