Old 25-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] ant infestation

I have several fig trees in a hot house. Unfortunately several
trees have
been infested with ants. The little blighters are in the soil

in the pot and
crawling into crevices in the folds of the branches. I've tried

immersing
the pots in water, spraying insect spray but to no avail. They

just run up
out of the soil carrying their eggs and I can kill lots of them

with the
spray but they back a week later just as bad. trees are healthy

though.

Sprays are no good with ants. They kill the ants they contact,
but there always are more.

First, be certain there are no aphids or other sucking insects
that produce "honeydew" if there are, the ants will _always_ be
back.

Next, find an "ant bait" in granular form. Most nurseries should
carry one of more brands. I can't recommend a brand or type
because I don't know what is registered for use by your
government. But there's bound to be one.

Ants take these baits inside the nest (which also may be
somewhere other than just in your pots) and feed it to the queen.
It may take a couple of doses over a 2-week period. Follow label
directions, and don't overdo because you sprinkle this stuff on
the soil and it will exist in relatively high concentration there
(in the pot); more so than spreading it on open land.

Third, remember . . . the ants aren't hurting your trees.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++