Old 25-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Pam

Default Strawberry plants

Judy and Dave G wrote:

Hi everyone.

I purchased some strawberry plants that come in those plastic bags and are
dormant. It is not yet time to plant outdoors, so I planted each root in a
pot in potting mix, watered and set them under light.

Every one of the plants that has green has spots and the leaves curl up and
drop.

I sprayed the plants twice with plant disease spray at the recommended
times.

Still no improvement. Thinking I need to pitch the whole bunch.

Here's my question: Has anyone ever made a weak solution of any disease
treatment and then just soaked the roots in it? I think I am gonna try it.
Doesn't seem to be much else to try. Unless someone knows a good method?

There is no such thing as an all-purpose "plant disease spray" - different plant
diseases need to be treated on an individual basis, depending on their source.
Soaking roots will not stop the problem, although it would certainly help if you
dunked them in a good, aerated compost tea.

Where are you located? Now is the time to start planting things outside,
specially perennials like strawberries, which can easily withstand spring
frosts. Your plants will be far happier in the ground than they are inside under
lights. Last frost dates are only guidelines for planting out cold-vulnerable
plants like annuals - they have no bearing on hardy perennials, like the
strawberries, or trees and shrubs. Bare root plants are available at times when
they should be planted out - now, in early spring.

pam - gardengal