Old 25-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Surfgeotwo

Default bamboo rookie....

I want to entertain the idea of bamboo as a screen in my back yard. I would
like something that gets 12 to 15 feet tall rather quickly and either stays
there or is easy to maintain at that height. I am in Houston, usda zone 9a, so
i need a hot and direct sun-tolerant variety. I need this to do well in a line
about 95' long, and hopefully just about 2' wide. So is bamboo a viable
option?

also:

how big is a 2-gallon vs. a 5-gallon plant, and does that mean there is just
one shoot or several? So - if i buy 2 gal or 5 gal, how far apart is the
optimal spacing, or in other words, how many would I need for 95'? I am sure
that has something to do with how fast i want a dense screen, so a range of
numbers is what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David