Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Cleaning Blue Barrels

On 4 Feb, 12:19, "Mel" wrote:
I've just liberated a blue barrel from a skip, so I don't know what the
barrel contained. I want to use the barrel either for water storage or
growing strawberries. Does anyone know what's good to use to de-contaminate
the inside of the barrel? Bleach? Armillatox? Jeyes? Fairy Liquid?

I've seen this blue barrel today (not the same one obviously)
containing olives at an organic food shop. As Les said use your nose
to find what was in there and use Jeyes if really you are worried (I'd
use washing up liquid if it's for strawbs). I've been given dark green
ones from a jam factory. Just to reassure you a bit )

If you fancy a new one, there's this site I've found once for a poster
here. The barrels are quite cheap indeed.

http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/New%20Barrels.htm