Old 25-03-2003, 04:44 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] ant infestation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Len Arzoomanian (BonsaiRI)" Subject: [IBC] ant infestation

Guys,
Please note the "ant stuff" in the gallery under Wolfgangs pictures

titled
"The SNAKE, a Larix" or something like that.
I've always bit my tongue at "ants in the soil are eating my bonsai"
questions.
After 25 years I can say it's mostly "Urban Legend".
Now, termites, or ants in already dead portions are another story.
OK, bring it on!!
Dale

Dale
True BUT, ants could be a sign of aphids which do hurt your trees so look

for aphids and get rid of them and your ants will most likely pack up and
LEAVE (No pun intended)!
Len

Len,
Well most people know the "honey dew" story, ants harvesting aphids, etc.
but, the second part isn't exactly true. I've had many ant "farms" in
pots/collection boxes without aphids ( as in Wolfgangs "Larix" posts in
gallery). Because you have ants, doesn't mean you have aphids...and vice
versa!
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++