Old 04-02-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Martin" wrote
after"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote
What IS this total obsession that many gardeners seem to have with junk?

I'm talking about: old baths and tyres, half rotten roof battens,
plastic
bottles and discarded carpet.... then there's the 'Blue Peter'
greenhouse?

Does incorporating neatly laid paths and raised beds - (and trying out
new
and colourful vegatable varieties make me a gardening snob)?

Well, I'm, not - nor am I made of money...... yet the only crap I can
stand in our garden comes from the local stables - and the veg. grows
all
the same.

It's even worse on some allotment sites.
We have today finished putting down ex-Council 2ftx3ft paving slabs
(bloody
heavy they were too!) along all our paths on our plot to cut down on the
mud
and so it looks nice.

We use crushed seashells.

Last year, the first on this plot, we put down fresh bark chippings which
did the job except that this winter the mud has come up through, hardy
surprising considering the amount of rain.
Won't have that problem again now.

--
Regards
Bob H