Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Planet X Planet X is offline

Default Removing Large Plants from Pot.....Tips??

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:17:47 -0000, "'Mike'" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. We've had a hard frost
overnight which has remained all day. So I'll try cutting it out when
we get a spell of mild weather. I'll let you know how I get on.

2) Take a large sharp knife and cut straight down from the rim through the
root ball and lift the tube of root out :-(

or

3) What we did in the same circumstances. Raise to pot up off the ground and
lay it on its side, rim slightly pointing down. Get the garden hose and wash
out all of the soil. Long job as the roots have to be teased to allow the
soil in the bottom to drop 'down' to the rim and drop out. Lift out root
mass and plant in prepared hole. Spread roots out as you fill the hole,
carefully treading and firming as you go.

Shock horror from the 'experts' maybe, but a case of 'Been there, done
that, got the plant and saved the pot'

Mike