Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Andy is offline

Default Grow your own veg!

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

There is a programme currently on TV about growing your own veg and it is
claimed that a plot 3 metres (10 feet) square can provide you with veg
all
years round.

Is that really possible?

Alan

Do you really think that programme is any good Alan, I found it silly and
frivolous. some good moments but generally a lot of faffing about with
the camera, with music and pictures of happy families digging in their
soil etc.

I don't think it is any good either, but I just HAD to watch it, just in
case there was someting interesting, fool that I am!

Didn't show putting up bean supports or pea supports. Not at all what I
was expecting ...........

I was expecting more as well!

I cannot believe that Carol Klein didn't realise that sowing seeds under
a magnolia tree wouldn't incur some drawbacks! She seemed surprised that
the roots had stopped her crops from growing full size !

I couldn't undersatnd that bit either, I would not have planted anything
that close to any tree

One of those good ideas that have been hi jacked by the "meeja" types
again ... sigh

It's a 'lifestyle' programme, made to look good and suck the wannabe
gardener's in. Not much cop for the serious gardener, but it hits its mark.
Hence all the shots of children climbing trees, robins eating out of hands,
rural veg gardens and the grainy out of focus 8mm cine film linking shots.
The occasional music is well chosen too. Good-looking, arty, feel-good
stuff, and well done IMO for its intended target. Better sticking to Monty
Don or what have you for the more serious stuff.

Andy.