Old 27-11-2006, 03:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
tennis maynard tennis maynard is offline

Default Trichopilia laxa redux

John Varigos wrote:
Nice shots Tennis. Under what conditions do you grow your Trichopilias?
Cheers
~John

I would say intermediate with the proviso that when I can control the
temps, I try to keep the highs in the low to mid seventies. Outdoors in
the summer, they get what they get here in central Ohio. But some really
do prefer it a little cooler than intermediate max temps, especially the
nobilis/fragrans group.

Constant air movement, seedling mix in plastic pots, and I don't let
them get bone dry. They can be prone to rotting in the new growths like
lycastes, and I have heard from more than one person that when seen in
situ they generally are growing almost horizontally, which would of
course help keep water out of the new growths. I have yet to experiment
with deliberate dry seasons as my conditions normally run a little drier
than I would like.