Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Help!

wendy7 wrote:

Oh oh!!!! I lost my collection of Phals & some Vanda's. My leaves had
yellow blotches which looked like bleach had been splashed on them.
I think our very own Steve had something like this too.

Our very own Tennis made a prediction about my Phal disease and he
turned out to be exactly right. I'll put it in quotes even though it
wouldn't be the exact words he probably used:
"You'll be free of that disease eventually... after the last affected
plant dies."
Well, I believe I am free of the disease at last. The last affected
plant died on Thanksgiving day (give or take a few hours). The last to
give it up was, in fact, the one I wanted most to save. It was the very
first orchid I ever bought, back in 1974 or '75.
I ordered a new Phal this week (along with some other orchids). It will
not be anywhere near the area where the old Phals were.

I would isolate first.

Yes!! Even though I don't really think your problem, Diana, is what I
had, it may be something that will spread to the other plants. Move any
suspect plants way over to one side of the patio, if possible. (If
another plant looks suspicious later, move it over to the bad side.)
Then spray that Physan. I would be surprised if Physan can cure that
disease but if it is caused by a microscopic organism of any kind, the
Physan will at least disinfect the surfaces in the area. Those surfaces
may include not only the bench where the diseased plants were but also
the surface of leaves of the other plants. Keep us informed!

Steve