Old 25-03-2003, 06:20 PM
SusieThompson

Default Which tree and where?

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
Some house insurers and mortgage surveys now question the distance
between the building and any trees. If one is selling, buying,
mortgaging or changing insurers it's something to bear in mind.

As you know, Janet, we're going to be starting a new garden from scratch
towards the end of this year. I've been trying to work out the
distances for planting a couple of native larch, hollies, birches plus
abies koreana and juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket' amongst other
evergreens. All I want is an idea of the basic structure plan of the
garden early on, so that if I happen to spot a bargain something or
another appropriate to the planting when we're over on the mainland, I
can keep it watered and potted up until the day comes.

Surely the type of root system that any tree has must determine any long
term problems around buildings, etc? As far as I can remember, I don't
think that I've ever seen mention anywhere of this in a book, catalogue,
etc. "So and so a tree has this or that type of root system." Is there
a source for this sort of information? What sort of roots do the abies
and juniper have? Are they suitable for planting anywhere near a house
wall - or what's the distance they need to be away from it? I always
feel that when I plant a tree, it should really be for posterity - or to
last a good few years at least. As our new garden is going to be fairly
small, does this mean that if we want to grow anything like a larch, for
example, we are in the situation of growing it on and enjoying it for a
few years, and then sadly having to fell it before the roots can become
a problem?

BTW - When did we last have any rain here on the Island? It's dry as
dust over here in far flung Lamlash. Godot, our resident cock pheasant,
is sitting on the wind sill in front of me, stuffing corn for all he's
worth, as I'm typing this. Red squirrels are still visiting the bird
table regularly and we have four or more siskins visiting the peanut
feeder. I read in a book recently that they're attracted more to
feeders which are orange or red in colour. Ours is orange, but that
doesn't necessarily prove anything!

--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to