Old 25-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default hardy geraniums - id and germination

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in
:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

This year I'm growing a lot of hardy geraniums from mixed seed. Does
anyone think there is any hope of identifying the young plants, or
will I have to get them all the flowering size first?

I think if you know what the range is you might guess one or two. Some
types, for example, have more divided leaves than others. Do you know
what types your mixture is made up from?

Alas, no. It's a 'leftovers mix' from Chiltern,I think.

Ah well, I shall just have to plant as many as I can fit in, and dig up any
I really don't like or that are in the wrong place later.

Victoria

I have some of the Chilterns Perennial mix which you get with a second
order. I've had a few hardy geraniums germinate and they have quite
coarse, relatively undivided leaves. My guess, based on the theory that
it's likely to be something fairly common and fairly robust and on the
fact that the leaf isn't divided enough for Geranium pratense, is that
it's Geranium sylvaticum. I'm unlikely to be right and only time will
tell!
Perhaps we can compare notes in a year or two's time.
Janet G