Old 18-02-2003, 04:51 PM
simy1

Default Favorite Plants??

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...
LeeAnne said:

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Tomatoes. Followed by peppers and sweet corn.

Chard. six month harvests of nutritious greens. and radicchio, which I
harvest well into january (under tunnels).

But I take it you mean ornamentals?

Impossible. One can not have the same relation with an inedible plant.

Perennials:
Spring: Salvia 'May Night'
Summer: Asclepias tuberosa
Fall: New England aster 'Purple Dome'

Asian lily. They come back year after year, rodents don't eat them,
they need no water, they slowly multiply, they take part sun, and they
look gorgeous. Honorable mention: lily of the valley, ground cover
with flowers that can populate dark patches where everything else
fails. I am also liking more and more the blue drifts that scilla can
produce in spring under my trees.

Shade tree: sugar maple

Chestnut or linden, both having beatiful vase shape, and both
providing edibles.

Ornamental tree: Cornus florida (plain white flowering dogwood)

Huge shrub/small tree: Amelanchier x 'Autumn Brilliance' (or any other
Amelanchier).

does it produce berries in abundance? Where can one get one? If one
were to consider vines, hardy kiwis and schizandra (yes, both edible)
are quite pretty.