Old 25-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Charlie

Default Cat owners need to see the light.

It follows a two-year trial in which cats, chosen for their hunting
ability, were fitted with devices that emit an ultrasonic "beep" that
cannot be heard by cats or humans. The high-tech alarms gave birds and
other small animals an early warning of the cats' approach and cut
their kill rates by at least a third.

This would be pointless in many gardens, it would in mine anyway. We have
birds nesting in our roof, where the cat often lays. They would all be
scared away by the noise, destroying a very popular nesting spot. We don't
object to having them there, the cat doesn't go after them either as he
prefers them on the ground! Millions of birds would be forced out of the
homes if this came into affect. Not to mention that most cats with half a
brain can get a collar off anyway.

Charlie.

---