Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Seed compost

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:11:03 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I'll send you the info that I have in my library !

I have it in my The New Small Garden by Lucas-Phillips circa 1979!
Seed compost
2 parts by bulk sterilised loam
1 part by bulk peat (moss or sedge)
1 part by bulk sharp lime free sand

To these are added, per bushel, 1 1/2 oz superphosphate of lime and 3/4
oz ground chalk or limestone

Yes, that's the one,
aint u just gota love the persistence of these "bushels" !

PS
There is another way,, :-
save your spent composts of previous year (after you have pricked out
your seedlings or dumped the surplus )
Sterilise it ( re-enter the microwave)
top up with a modicum of superphosphate
sow seeds for new year

Saves messing about with new loam, peat and sharp sand.

(but maybe I was just born too close to a northern border LOL!)