Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Removing Large Plants from Pot.....Tips??

"Planet X" wrote in message

I've got a dwarf bamboo that has totally filled a 15" decorative

pot.
I want to remove it from the pot and plant it in the garden. Of
course, nothing is that easy; the pot has a pinched in rim!!

Has anyone any useful tips that will enable me to extract the

rootball
without cracking the pot? The pot has quite a large 'mouth' and it
has reasonably thick walls.

It'sa right pig of a job!

I've done it in younger and stronger days by putting the pot in it's
side and shaking some of the dirt out and then using a bread knife to
hack into the roots so that I could finally get them past the rim. I
have found that bread knives (the big ones for cutting unsliced bread)
are particularly useful for cutting roots.