Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default pollarding a willow

Hello,

I have a variegated willow shrub (don't have the exact name but I
suspect it is Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki') which is getting a little large
for its spot. It has a well structured form, so I thought it would do
well pollarded.

How to begin? Just saw a branch at the desired height? My RHS pruning
guide is a little vague about starting, the picture looks as though the cut
was made where desired and then whips came out, but it's not clear.

Thanks for any advice,

-E

--
Emery Davis