Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Tree stump advice

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

I want to landscape the final area of my garden previously covered in bark
chippings.

Two years ago I felled two large Leylandii trees - the stumps, 18 inches in
diameter, remain. They are a few inches out of the ground and attempts to
kill them with crystals added between the trunk and bark do not appear to
have been successful.

I want to lawn the area and plant apple trees.

Will they survive/grow?

How can I remove the stumps? There is no room/access for one of those fancy
stump removers.

Any advice would be appreciated please?

Dig it out?

Drill holes and add sodium nitrate for a slow burn ~ six months latter.

Drive copper nails into the stump?

You do not have to dig it out in the same day but axe and shovel
work can be dangerous.

Shoes with metal toes a good idea and other safety stuff may save you
and yours pain in the future.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade