Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default wood ash - ?

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one

or
the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

thanks all

alkaline, does a similar job to lime it seems but takes approx 2 times the
amount of ash as it does lime to achieve same results according to info you
come across online. It does apparently act a lot quicker than lime however
and can cause quite a dramatic shift in ph if used heavily.

It was used by our dads and granddads to add potassium to soil. It also adds
some phosphorous. Can be added to compost or to garden beds or probably even
as a side dressing with plants, acid loving plants probably not though and
maybe when the soil is damp and some rain is expected.

Exactly when to add is something I wonder about sometimes. Obviously periods
when potassium is lacking in plants is an ideal time, whenever that may be
for you. If dug in before planting I am not sure how long the P & K will
last in the soil, I have been told it will leach quite quickly. You may need
to research that to ascertain when it can be applied for maximum benefit.

rob