Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
MLW MLW is offline

Default vines to cover chain linked fence

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Hi:

I am having a chain linked fence constructed along the property line (I
prefer wood or masonry but budget prevents me from using those). The
fence will be six feet tall.

I would like to put some plant that will eventually grow and "fill in" and
cover the chain linked fence. I know there are vines that does that.
What I am looking for is what variety of vines would be best, or is there
anything else I should consider? The fence will be 105 feet in length so
I am not restricted to one kind.

Location is Miami, Florida zone 10b.

Thanks in advance for any comments,

MC

I live in Central Florida and have quite a few vines on chain link fencing
that encloses our yard. I have coral vine, pandora,carolina jasmine,clock
vine, rangoon creeper and bleeding heart vine among them. The coral vine is
a beautiful pink color and I see it a lot in the neighborhood climbing trees
and covering other fences. It took a while for mine to get going, but once
it did it really took off. It started on a small trellis but soon covered
that and I have to pull it out of the hibiscus bush it tries to cover. But
it comes off easily and I think it would cover a fence nicely.
The pandora I have is on the fence and has covered that in a short time.
But it has become a pest in the yard because it seems to root wherever it
touches the ground. I pull a lot of that up. The flowers are beautiful
though.
The vine that covered the most area in the shortest time for me was the
clock vine (Thunbergia grandiflora).
If I don't check it every few days, it climbs into the tree next to the
fence and tries to take it over. I gave one to my mother for her fence and
it filled in 3 big sections in a short time.

Mary