Old 06-02-2007, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cerumen[_2_] Cerumen[_2_] is offline

Default pollarding a willow

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a variegated willow shrub (don't have the exact name but I
suspect it is Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki') which is getting a little
large
for its spot. It has a well structured form, so I thought it would do
well pollarded.

How to begin? Just saw a branch at the desired height? My RHS pruning
guide is a little vague about starting, the picture looks as though the
cut
was made where desired and then whips came out, but it's not clear.

In my experience you can hack most willows back to the ground and they just
grow back even more vigourously.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.