Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com George.com is offline

Default growing new lawn on compost

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 5, 12:06 am, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

My existinglawnis inbadshapeand someone who has a great garden
suggested to me to usecompost. He suggested a thick (6-8 inches) of
compostand then over-seed. I can getcompostfrom the municipal dump
for free. Would this scheme work? I don't really want to spend the
money and energy on the existinglawn.

thanks.

I suppose a littlecompostwould help but 6-8 inches ? LOL How big is

yourlawn? What is causing the problem ? Do you have a 16 wheel dumptruck ?

The lawn is 1/4 acre. The lawn has moss, brown patches, and weeds --
all the good stuffs. There are many mature trees that block the sun
and their roots are quite shallow.

a selective prune of the trees from someone who knows what they are doing
will help the lawn, though maybe not solve all the problems, at least give a
new lawn a better start.

rob