Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Looking for deer proof ground cover

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:25:11 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I never mentioned wandering jew. Anyway, I have no idea what that is
because there are at least ten things people call "Wandering Jew." If
you mean the dark purple foliage of Tradescantia pallida, it
definitely behaves like a perennial here in the Austin USDA Zone of
8b. Not deer proof.

There are two common types of wandering jew. The large purple leafed
variety and the smaller leafed green and silver. Both are pretty and
hardy... but I doubt they are deer proof.

Granted, the local herd has never touched mine but I guess they are well
fed enough on the lawn across the street. I imagine the two Lab Chows
that bark at them are added discouragement.

I think the greatest deer deterrent is a good dog.

Actually, there are many varieties of Tradescantia. I try not to use
common names when making sweeping statements. I can think of at
leasts 10 different common houseplants referred to as Wandering Jew.
Two of them are the ones you mention, but there are many varieties
most of which are not cold hardy.