Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Novice gardener, flower seeds ?

"Barb" wrote ...
Hi folks. I'm a bit of a novice gardener, having acquired a fairly mature
garden with many shrubs and roses and a few "beds". I put in a few small
shrubs to fill some gaps last autumn and they seem to be doing OK because
I followed the advice and suggestions of the chap at the nursery as to
position, etc..

I want to grow some colourful flowers in the rather empty (and weedy!)
beds this summer, and I thought, say, marigolds and cornflowers, on the
basis that they're fairly foolproof and I grew these successfully as a
kid! If I dig and lay down a good level of new compost, when do I sow
the seeds, and can I sow them direct into the ground?

Also I've had a bit of a problem with slugs, so does a scattering of slug
pellets among the seedlings work?

Any other ideas for fairly tough, colourful long-flowering annuals I can
fill my blank spaces with? Preferably from seed, 'cos it's cheaper! I
have to say that I generally can't tell one plant from another, and I'm on
a huge learning curve!

Thanks for any advice and help. I know I can read a couple of books, but
it's always better to get suggestions from real people.

As others have said check the packets, but most annuals can be sown direct.
For perennials may I suggest you take a look at...
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?..._id =478Where there are a number of collections for a colourful border, ideal for abeginner like yourself (and even those of us that aren't) that may not besure of what to get and what to plant where etc.--RegardsBob H17mls W. of London.UK