Old 06-02-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Grow your own veg!

On 6 Feb, 15:53, Janet Tweedy wrote:
What a shame you are confusing being keen on plants only with someone
caring that the media might actually show people who want to learn
about vegetable growing, the necessary information without resorting to
75% of a programme being given over to incidental music and 'lifestyle
shots'
If you' watched The allotment you'd seen what I mean. There they do show
how to grow plants but in a down to earth way, and they actually show
HOW to put up the supports etc and how to overcome problems.
The BBC programme didn't show how to erect runner bean supports etc.

But don't you know already?! I have the strange feeling that the
people who do know best are the most critical of this programme. If I
wanted to go through hours of fruit bushes pruning advices, filmed in
the 60s, and so boring that it kept sending my whole class to sleep, I
would consult the hundreds upon hundreds of videos available!

And what are the problems that Carol came across that wasn't
explained? The leeks preping was clear to me, the soil preping for the
pumpkins too, as well as the winter salad crop and the taste, the
TASTE!! It's simply marvelous that for once we get a bit of everything
into a programme. I'm sure Titmarsh and Don are on their way for
another series soon, but until then, doesn't this programme make you
eager to start?! It did to me ... can't wait end of Feb. And Carol's
friend first garden is honest and true to life - something I have seen
hundreds of time in my life but never on tv before. It's indeed about
time we were to be shown for whom we really are and not for what we're
not. This thread has all the airs and graces of Mrs Bucket.

RTE television could make superb programmes to taught everyone whether
beginner or experienced gardener and yet did it without 'artistic' shots
or mood music

Surely they couldn't have taught the experienced gardeners ... And
I've watch lots of these videos at college and ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz....
Oops sorry, they were indeed very fascinating ;o)