Old 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
told2b told2b is offline

Default wood ash - ?

On Feb 5, 12:45?pm, "Oxymel of Squill" wrote:
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one or
the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

thanks all

"Though ashes do contain significant amounts of potash, they contain
little phosphate and no nitrogen. Since one of the leading minerals in
my area's soil(NJ) is potash you normally do not need more. Due to the
fine structure of wood ashes, it seems that the material would have
little value as a soil conditioning agent. Also, weathered wood ash
has practically no fertilizing or liming value. However, one possible
use for ashes would be as an addition to compost. Compost is normally
acidic and the ashes would help neutralize the pH. N-P-K is 0-1-5."