Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default What Insect Caused These Bites?

"TheScullster" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote

Sounds like flea bites. Maybe you were near a dog in a public

place ?
Jenny

You might have hit the nail on the head there, Jenny.
Snooker club has alsation watch dog!

The flea bites I've had have always been very distinctive. They are
about a quarter of an inch across with a brighter red dot in the
middle and always flat - not raised at all. You could perhaps have a
reaction to the bites and thus causing the lump or your scratching
could be causing the raised welt and the bleeding. My scratching of
flea bites has never caused my bites to do this but it could be so in
your case.

The description of the bites being on your ankles and lower legs could
fit both fleas and anything else from either the garden or anywhere
where you walk regularly (or even only the fact that this may be the
only bit of exposed flesh that a bitey can find to bite???)

So what's the remedy then, any ideas?
Please don't suggest I give up my only recreation.

The first thing to do would surely be to find out if any of the other
snooker players have the same problem. If the snooker club is the
source of the problem, you won't be the only one being bitten. If
others at the club aren't being bitten then look for another place of
origin.

If it is the snooker club then the problem is easy - treat the dog
regularly and set off a series of flea bomb treatments over a period
of time to kill the live fleas and then the larvae and later ones
emerging from eggs (they live in carpet and crack in flooring)