Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Inverted snobbery.... yawn.

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Farm1 writes

It's horses for courses. What works for me and turns me on won't

do
that for another gardener. If you don't like junk, then I don't

mind
if you don't see the value of junk then it's just more junk for us
other gardeners who like it :-))

I think the main trouble comes when, as a result of the size of

gardens
generally in the UK, it's what you see from your windows!
A neat and tidy gardener would probably despair if he overlooked a
scruffy gnome-filled patch with weeds and "wildlife" encouraged
planting, uncared for shrubs and the odd pile of tyres and freezers.

However the same would be true in the reverse.
I don't think people mind what anyone else likes in a garden maybe

it's
just living with it if you overlook a different gardening

viewpoint

I love the thatched cottage and pretty houses of some areas of the
country and wouldn't mind living opposite them but would be

frightened
to death of actually owning and upkeeping them!

Same goes for the Christmas garden/house decorations that are now
becoming common. A friend lives opposite a truly car-stopping set of
Xmas decorated houses. As she said, "it's okay if you live in it a d

you
can't see it but it's another matter to try and sleep with the

migraine
inducing flashes of a 7 foot father Christmas climbing up the front

wall
of the house opposite"

I don't disagree with anything you've written but I think that what
you've described is a much larger issue than just gardens preferences
or junk in gardens. It really covers the whole issue of how
increasingly our more crowded surroundings or information overload or
just general sociatal intrusiveness or whatever can impact on our well
being overall.

By that I mean that it also applies equally to what I see on the TV
these days. I can barely stand to watch our PM without wanting to
throw my very large and heavy gardening boots at his lying head. And
as for watching George Bush! That's more like wanting to heave the
whole TV out the window. To think that this moron is the head of the
most powerful nation on earth! What were they thinking (or not) to
elect this moron a second time round! See: the general frustration it
causes me is even coming through in a gardening ng :-))