Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Radar Radar is offline

Default Bleeding heart

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
seph... wrote:

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:20:13 -0800, "Padraig"
wrote:

What a lovely flower!
Reminds me of a Chinese Lantern plant...
Would you happen to have the botanical name ?

Thanks much,

seph

A quick google turns it up. :-)

Dicentra spectabilis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicentra_spectabilis
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Once again, the confusion caused by common names.....

This plant is most definitely NOT a Dicentra of any species,
although Dicentra, several species of which (spectabilis, formosa,
eximia) are all referred to as "Bleeding Heart."

The plant in the picture is none of those. Dicentra is a herbaceous
perennial plant, whereas the plant pictured (and pictured very beautifully
I might add) is obviously a woody plant (just look at the stem) which at
first I thought might be a species of Clerodendrum, which is also sometimes
given the common name "Bleeding Heart" or "Bleeding Heart Glory Bower."

That ID is also incorrect though, since this plant has a large cluster of
stamens
and any species of Clerodendrum I'm familiar with do not. The leaves are
also
wrong for the Clerodendrum I know.

If I figure it out I'll let the group know....or maybe someone else can
provide a
correct ID and botanical name.

Regards,
Rick