Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller Treedweller is offline

Default Sowing Grass Under an Oak Tree

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:37:24 -0600, "Freckles"
wrote:

I need to sow grass on a large area under an oak tree. While I'm at it I
want to over seed my entire front lawn. My question is what seeds, if any,
are best for areas in both shaded areas and areas in full sun?

I know autumn is the best time for over seeding, but I don't want to wait
that long. So other than waiting for fall, when would be the second best
time for doing the job?

I live in North Central Texas which is in zone 8.

Thanks

Please be careful of your tree as you do this. Most of a tree's
feeder roots are int eh top foot or two of soil, so excessive tilling
under teh tree's canopy could do extensive damage. The root crown
should be exposed to open air, so don't add soil to cover root flares
(and excavate the crown if the builder or someone else already buried
it). The critical root zone should be covered in a 3.5-inch layer of
mulch, preferably organics like wood chips or bark. This zone is
generally defined as a circle one foot in diameter per inch of trunk
diameter (at breast height, 1 meter above grade). Often, grass lovers
are unwilling to give up this much space; if that's you, any area of
mulch is better than none. A foot or two from the trunk will at least
give a little respite from the grass and remove the temptation to
whack the tree with a string trimmer at mowing time. More is better.

www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.aspx

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236