Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

Default Tree stump advice

"Kevin" wrote in message
I want to landscape the final area of my garden previously covered in bark
chippings.

Two years ago I felled two large Leylandii trees - the stumps, 18 inches

in
diameter, remain. They are a few inches out of the ground and attempts to
kill them with crystals added between the trunk and bark do not appear to
have been successful.

I want to lawn the area and plant apple trees.

Will they survive/grow?

How can I remove the stumps? There is no room/access for one of those

fancy
stump removers.

The stumps are 18 inches across? - how is it you can't get a stump grinder
in there? It's not that big a stump for a tiller-type grinder.

Rental stump grinders are the size of - and look just like - a
gasoline-powered roto-tiller with a much smaller nose - a blade that's only
an inch wide at best, two inches with guard.

Rent a bigger hand-contolled stump grinder (don't get the cheapest little
one) and grind. And grind. And grind.
You want to have the blade teeth break off bits of wood from the stump
along the grain of the wood - and that is easiest done by chipping at the
edge of the stump, but not so far into the stump that the grinder blade will
pull the grinder up onto the stump.
The handles will buck some -- down if you are going at it right, in (this
is not getting the job done) if you are riding up onto the stump.
Depends on the blade size of the grinder, but going three-four inches
deep in the ground is a good depth to start.

Start in the dirt and sweep the blade into the closest edge of the
stump - Let the blade chip away wood from the near-side VERTICAL edge of the
stump, with enough down pressure to keep it chipping and not so much that it
will jump out of your hands - and don't bog the engine down. Steady and
patience.
Grind out an inch or less into the stump, and few inches deep across the
stump, sweeping back and forth, taking a bit out of the stump at each slow
and steady sweep.
..
You will probably only do a couple inches in a minute on a stump that
size, but that's five feet deep an hour.

15 minutes, each stump....

just keep chipping away at it.....

Any advice would be appreciated please?