Old 09-02-2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel jadel is offline

Default Oh Happy Day; the ironical version.

On Feb 8, 10:44 pm, "Bob Walsh" wrote:
Al,

Your well man is probably right. I've been told that it takes twice as much
electricity to start a motor as it does to run it....

Yep. A big inrush current is necessary to overcome the inertia of the
system, but pump motor designs are also more efficient than they were
45 years ago. I suspect that's where the savings will come from.

We have a pressurized hot water heating system in our house. The old
pump motor was a big, noisy monster. When it failed, it was replaced
with a small, quiet, far more efficient motor/impeller pump.

J. Del Col