Old 09-02-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Using decomposed turf as topsoil?

"Robert" wrote in message
mattyh wrote:
: Hopefully someone can tell me if this is feasible. We've recently cut
: away flowerbeds from a (newly) fully turfed back garden, and currently
: have all the excess turf piled up in one corner.
:
: Our idea was to let this die off and hopefully let it break down so
: that in the spring we can use it as topsoil for the flowerbeds.
:
: The turf that's in the middle of the pile has started to die, and i've
: re-piled it so that the stuff at the top that's still alive is now in
: the middle etc, but is it feasible to expect this will have broken
: down enough to use in the Spring? Should I be using any sort of grass
: killer? Or is this a daft idea and i should just dispose of this and
: order some topsoil?!
:
: Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks

It'll make a wonderful loam but I have no idea if it will be ready that
soon

No it won't. Where we have done this operation and piled the turf up, it has
taken up to 3 years to break down. Please note 'UP TO' :-)

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk