Old 09-02-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel jadel is offline

Default Monterey Pine Orchid Bark

On Feb 6, 4:54 pm, Charles VanDyke wrote:
Hi

I saw several recent references in orchid literature in the US for
using/recommending composted Monterey Pine bark from New Zealand for potting
orchids. Does anyone know where you can buy this in the US? With Rexius
bark being somewhat hard to find I thought of trying the Monterey bark - if
I can locate some.

There's a place in NZ that sells it by the ton -literally- but other
than that, I can't find any other vendor, at least not in a brief
check on Google.

There's a product called Black Gold that is made of composted pine
bark, but I can't find any reference to what species of pine is used
in it.

J. Del Col (who uses Diatomite)