Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Fragipani cuttings

G'day Pete

Now, I'm not an expert in this field, but had been planning to do
similar to you and asked the same questions some time ago.

The info I was given was to take cuttings when the new shoots (appearing
like red claws) at the tips of branches approx Aug to Sept, then lay
these cuttings on the ground until they heal on the cut surface, then
plant into damp, sharp sand and finally plant out when they have
sufficient roots to sustain the new plant. I was also told they do
really well in pots, although the pot will need to be upsized every year
or so, unless you plan to heavily prune the tree to keep the same pot.

Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to get the cuttings I was chasing
(deep pink) in Aug-Sept, but bought some seedlings on eBay of unknown
colour, then later found a deep red on eBay. These are all in pots at
the moment and approx 600mm high, but once they bloom and I can see
their colour then they will be planted in the garden.

They are a 'beautiful' flower and perfume, aren't they? Just divine in
the evenings.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Peter wrote:
Hia folks im new to these woods, just wondering if anyone knows how to
take cuttings from a fragipani and if its difficult/Possible

the house we rent is being sold and we have this beautifull pink and
yellow one id realy like to keep a bit for later on when we get a place
of our own so i guess i need to knwo if they would like to be in a pot
as well

Cheers Folks
Pete