Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Fragipani cuttings

Would be worth a try!! specially if it's a colour you really wanted.
In the end, I couldn't get access to the pink I was chasing because the
owner had these warped ideas I was going to sell trees propagated from
the cuttings and was guarding these profusely.......hence the reason I
resorted to eBay. Previously she had given permission but would only
allow cuttings to be taken in Aug-Sept and due to illness I missed this
timeslot, so had to wait another year.....then the funny business started.

Funny part is, the tree is along a side boundary and when I drove passed
a few days ago it's now hanging over the fence, so technically, no
permission needed, but I wanted to do the right thing by her and had
even made her a small gift in appreciation of two pink cuttings. Some
people!!! LOL

Good luck with your cuttings. Take a photo of your tree, just in case
the cuttings don't make it and keep in touch, because who knows what
colours the seedlings I bought on eBay will be, the expensive one
'should' be deep red because that's why I paid all the $$$'s.

Bronwyn ;-)

Peter wrote:
HC wrote:

G'day Pete

Now, I'm not an expert in this field, but had been planning to do
similar to you and asked the same questions some time ago.

The info I was given was to take cuttings when the new shoots
(appearing like red claws) at the tips of branches approx Aug to Sept,
then lay these cuttings on the ground until they heal on the cut
surface, then plant into damp, sharp sand and finally plant out when
they have sufficient roots to sustain the new plant. I was also told
they do really well in pots, although the pot will need to be upsized
every year or so, unless you plan to heavily prune the tree to keep
the same pot.

Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to get the cuttings I was
chasing (deep pink) in Aug-Sept, but bought some seedlings on eBay of
unknown colour, then later found a deep red on eBay. These are all in
pots at the moment and approx 600mm high, but once they bloom and I
can see their colour then they will be planted in the garden.

They are a 'beautiful' flower and perfume, aren't they? Just divine
in the evenings.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Akkkk September ..... most likely senario is that we will be out of here
by april but ours does have some of the claw type ends on so i might
have a go anyways Cheers