Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tina tina is offline

Default Raised beds

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:08:01 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

Rob, where did u get your slepers from & how much ere they. I need 14
& hve found a couple of suppliers in my local area, but thy are quite
expensive.

.. I used garden sleepers
and made them either 300 or 400 mm high. That is a handy height for me but
still gives the option of building up again in future. It is more expensive
than using timber however I was under 'instructions' to landscape the area
which meant laying down pavers as well (now that is even more difficult to
get level than chairs in gravel). When building the beds consider what the
backing will be. If using timber you can simply whip up a 3 sided box. I was
putting some against a fence and didn't want to pay for twice the amount of
sleepers than necessary so I nailed various backings to the fence
(firboplank and clearlite roof sheeting) and built the beds out from there.
The soil and planting all but hides the fibro/clearlite sheets.