Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Raised beds

"tina" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:08:01 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

Rob, where did u get your slepers from & how much ere they. I need 14
& hve found a couple of suppliers in my local area, but thy are quite
expensive.

Where did I get them from? Likely 14,000 kms away from you Tina. A variety
of sources around Hamilton (New Zealand) including 2 jokers who mill timber
and a couple of garen centres who had stuff going cheap. I put in 6 gardens
around the place over different periods.

I paid around $15 nz for new 2.1 metres by 200mm by 100mm. These were
macrocapa or gum.
I paid around $7-8 nz for seconds at the same measurements.

If you find someone who mills timber on farms (mobile saw mill) and deal
direct with them you are likely to get a better price than garden centre.
Also check if they have seconds. They are not that much worse than firsts
provided they have 2-3 good faces they are fine for raised beds.

rob