Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mary Mary is offline

Default Yellow plu tomatoes

On Feb 9, 9:20 pm, wrote:
I've seen a new variety of yellow plum tomatoes in the cataloges this
year- has anyone tried them? I was interested to read about the San
Marzano and will have to look for them this year. I've grown the
Cherokee heirloom tomatoe and really liked the taste- they are a deep
maroon color.

Well, unless San Marzano is different where you are, they are not
yellow.

I grew a couple of San Marzano plants outdoors here in the UK last
year, so they're pretty hardy. They are also very tasty, RED, classic
Italian plum tomatoes!

(They're not difficult to find - try http://www.seedsofitaly.com/ or a
similar site.)

I will be planting a lot more of them this year and rather less of the
silly heritage tomatoes I planted last year.

That said, "Lemon vine" isn't bad as far as yellow "plum" tomatoes go
- and certainly very productive, even grown out of doors in pots.

(I have taken note of your comment about Cherokee though and will go
and see if I can buy it from the web.)