Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default Oh Happy Day; the ironical version.

J_a,

I on the other hand have 53 orchids that all get hauled to the kitchen sink
and watered on a schedule that is based on an average of previous watering
times for each particular plant as calculated by the MsAccess database
query -- at times of low humidity (such as now) I look ahead in the query
and check whether the orchids for the next few days should already be
watered -- when the wheather changes though I am able to slack off more and
not check my database query as often and water orchids that are overdue. I
find that for me it is easier if I water a few every day or every other day
than watering only once a week and then having to spend an hour or two
watering them all. Of course there are times when I slack off at
inappropriate times and then my orchids get extra-dry, but since most of
them are fairly tolerant of neglect, that's ok. I am thinking of tossing my
cochleanthes amazonica, it's not doing well, and it's too high
maintenance -- not tolerant of neglect. I am going to keep my toddler
though, even though the too high maintenance would apply to him as well, but
unlike the cochleanthes he's worth it. ;-)

Joanna

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 8, 9:21 pm, Dayton wrote:

When I left for work yesterday morning at 6:30 a.m., it was minus 15°F
(not counting the wind) in mid-coast Maine. I've taken to putting an
extra sheet of plexiglass between the window orchids and the windows
they're in. Seem to keep them from dying.

i stuck bubble wrap to my windows. plants still look sickly, and the
damn phals still aren't spiking.

al, you are a better man than i am. i have two dozen that get hauled
in to the kitchen and watered in the sink once a week, and that's a
big enough pain in the butt for me.

--j_a