Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Springtime Springtime is offline

Default Bubble wrap as grenhouse insulation.

"tina" wrote in message
Hi,

Horse stable bolted comes to mind as the snow starts to melt, but does
anyone know how much bubble wrap is needed to insulate an 8ft x 6ft
greenhouse. Its a normal type with a sloping roof that is 8ft x 4ft
either side.

I'm sure all the organised gardners on the group have done this
already. My maths skills arnt up to it :-(

Tina
In the past I have bought it in large rolls and kept the leftover stuff for
the following year.
You will need the supporting clips as well if the frame is aluminium.
However, be aware that it does slightly reduce the light so make sure that
the glass is clean.
Personally, I cannot be bothered with it any more as it increases the
moisture and encourages mould / fungus disease. Also it is a pain to take
down when all the plants have grown as I usually have tomatoes in the
boarders and cucumbers trailing across the roof + hanging baskets of tumbler
tomatoes.
Having said this, it will definitely reduce your heating costs.

Steve