Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default New atitide at the AOS?

P.S: Speaking of, where the *&(^!? is my February issue of Orchids, anyway?

Diana

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
FWIW, I think this has been in the works for some time. The AOS has been
holding regular meetings of the S. FL Leadership Council for at least a
year; I think it might actually be closer to two years, but I can't
remember for sure. The SFLC is made up of AOS Reps, local society
presidents and other interested AOS members. For example, our show
chairperson goes to those meetings along with our AOS rep and president.

In the beginning, they were not terribly receptive to new ideas. They
didn't even want to discuss the dues increase. But as time passed, I think
reality sank in. The declining membership numbers finally hit home. At
least they appear to recognize that for at least some people, raising the
dues was like the final straw. And, as has been discussed here many times
before, information is so easy to come by these days that we hardly need
to rely on magazines to get what we need.

They really were in their own little world down in Delray Beach, on the
way to existing for the sake of their own existence. Mind you, I do not
include the judges in that description. Our judges are great.

So we'll see what happens. I support the concept of the AOS. It has to
morph into something that offers a real service to orchidists, new and
experienced alike. Magazine articles about old time members are nice
enough, but what do they contribute to our growing experience? I think
what we mostly want is relevance, relevance, relevance. Just my two cents.

Diana

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Double oops, Kath-it's *attitude*, LOL!

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Oops, thats 'frank appraisal' so much for my typing skills.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Kathy Fiegel posted this link on the OGD. If you have not yet received
your 'Orchids' magazine new president Carlos Fighetti has a letter to
the membership in this month's orchids. These letters are available
online at http://www.aos.org/aos/about/page04.aspx go to the page and
click on February.

Its a farnk appraisal of teh AOS and what they need to do to get their
membership back.

I was impressed.

K Barrett