Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Plans for my small pond

~ janj wrote:

Absolutely. My 2 foot deep lily pond has done well this winter with a 100
watt pond heater and air bubbler.... okay, I have checked to see if any of
the moor fry have survived out there. I do know the coldest the temp it got
was about 35F and that was some distance from the heater. It did freeze
over, but I assume not where the heater and bubbler are. I keep shade cloth
over it to keep out any wind blown debris. I have a wireless thermometer in
it, and can track the temp from inside the house. This was an exceptionally
cold winter for us, weeks below freezing at times with no snow cover.

Shubunkins and wakings would do wonderfully. In a perfect world, where I
could have a bigger pond for my koi, my koi ponds would become ponds for
such goldfish. ~ jan

I have a great area for the eventual Koi pond....just have to wait til
the kiddies grow old enough to give up their rather large play
area...some is under trees so I will have to net it.....if usenet
allowed photos I'd share the area.....but it is sufficiently large
without the restrictions I have elsewhere.....35F is warm right now over
here.....

I want to get something going on the pond front again.....I miss my
strolls up to the top of the garden to my ill-fated pond I had 6 years
ago.....even just the fact that the fish didn't do to well but the frogs
and newts did....the marginal plants in the bog part were awesome....I
built the pond up the top of the garden with little real
planning....because the place, when we bought it was such a mess, I just
wanted something special....

I will get the spade out and build my little puddle this year......it is
close to the house and power is not an issue.....I can hardly wait......

Gill