Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Grow Your Own Veg - yesterday

"JennyC" wrote
"Keith (Dorset)" wrote
As Carol has lived at the cottage for thirty years, and hasn't grown
her own veg, for twenty; one is tempted to ask why she has suddenly
started now?

Where there's muck there's brass, maybe?

Of course......., but I get the impression that she's been raising a
family and getting a business of the ground in the intervening
years.....

I don't know what's the matter with all you old Moaning Minnies over
this programme. I love it, and look forward to it all week!

Carol K is a brilliant gardening presenter, whether she's talking about
veg, or planting perennials for a flower garden. She never claimed to be
a beginner at growing vegetables - if people had been paying attention
they'd have seen she'd had lots of experience 'growning her own' many
years ago, but as J says, for the last two decades has concentrated on
her nursery business, shows etc.

I'm really glad they got her to do this programme. OK, so expert
allotmenteers would like a more in depth, technical sort of programme
that caters for those already producing much of their own food on huge
plots - and I agree there's definitely an audience for something like
that and it's long overdue - but it isn't what this particular series
has presumably been designed for. I think it *will* inspire a lot of
back garden dabblers to have a go at planting things they can eat,
simply because of her infectious enthusiasm, and is also likely to
appeal to women. That could be a key element in getting households that
wouldn't otherwise ever grow so much as a lettuce to start thinking
about how and where their food is produced and to try a small plot or a
few pots themselves.

--
Sue