Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Growing garlic

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
When you grow garlic from a clove, and you get (hopefully) a bulb
consisting of several cloves round a central core, what happened to

the
original clove you planted? Does that one become the central core,

or does
it wither away like a seed potato?

I have always assumed it is the central core that is found in the

bulb.

I think that's true, in simple terms: left to itself, it would go on
producing leaves and finally a flowering stalk if allowed to grow on in
the same cycle. That's why you have to eat it rather than plant it. I
wonder, though, if one _did_ plant it in good conditions, it might
produce some weak new cloves, but after another season, and having used
most of its energy for flowering; but I've never tried, so probably it
just flowers and dies.

--
Mike.