Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Inverted snobbery.... yawn. (OT)

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:39:06 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]
Or the idiocy of coming out on strike because there is not

enough
sugar in
the tea (Ford Dagenham)

I didn't know that!

But did it actually happen? In any civilian employment I know about,
people pay for their own at the canteen or from the tea swindle: not
something it would make any sense to take up with the management.

Few
adult civilians would be subjected to a situation where they didn't

have
a choice about how much sugar went in their tea. I fancy I scent an
urban myth of perhaps even less than "Winterval" credibility.

I got near to causing a strike by changing a 13 amp fuse in a plug
attached to a
piece of equipment that I was using that belonged to my employer and

not
to the
company that was borrowing it.
Martin

I heard a story (might be another myth Mike) about a chap drilling a

hole in
a wooden wall and coming out the other side into a metal
wall............down tools by the metal workers union........

It's the kind of joke people tell over their tea (just half a sugar for
me, please). Where it does seem to have turned certifiably crazy was in
Fleet Street and in the very few places affected by '70s wildcats (the
scary "Red Robbo" kind of thing), or the nastier inter-union disputes.

--
Mike.